An experience letter is an official document that proves your employment with a certain organization. An employee requires an experience letter during a job switch that certifies his role in the organization.
Generally, experience letters are shared by the HR of the organization. The HR manager must collect the information from the employee’s reporting manager to design an experience letter.
This is one of the most valuable documents an individual can add to his portfolio. Before you accept an employee’s request to provide an experience letter you should keep certain things in mind.
An experience letter must contain some important components:
1. Job role- The experience letter should contain the employee’s job role in the organization. The job role represents the role for which a person was responsible in his previous organization.
For example, if an employee worked as a graphic designer in an organization for three years, it should be clearly mentioned that a specific employee was in charge of designing templates, social media posts, etc in the organization during his tenure.
2. Date of joining- The date of joining must be mentioned in the experience letter to state the duration of employment in the organization.
For example- An employee joined the organization on 20th April 2018 and resigned on 15 March 2023. So his tenure would be approximately 5 years.
3. Skills and experience gained- An experience letter must contain the skills and experience gained during his tenure. It includes all the certifications and experience that employees receive.
For example- An employee did some professional course during his tenure related to his job role to enhance efficiency. It should be mentioned in the experience letter.
4. Date of resignation- It is necessary to mention the date of resignation in the experience letter to state that the employee is no longer associated/ employed with the previous organization.
For example- If an employee resigned from his previous organization on 25th March 2023. So this date should be mentioned in the experience letter to ensure that employee is no longer employed/associated with the previous organization or employer.
5. Date of issuing the letter- The date of issuing the letter must be mentioned in the experience letter. The date of issuing is necessary to verify the authenticity of the experience letter so that no false information could be passed on.
For example- If the date of issuing an experience letter is not mentioned the employee can use the experience letter at any time in any organization. This increases the chances of manipulation and fraud.
So it is necessary to mention the date of issuing the experience letter.
Writing an honest and professional experience letter is necessary for an employer.
Some key points must be kept while writing an experience letter:
For example- If an employee was working as Executive Manager at the organization but later he was promoted to Senior Manager. These details should be mentioned in the employee’s experience letter.